JJES » JJES Issues
 
 Yarmouk Journals
Home
Editorial Board
Consulative Board
Manuscript Submission
Publication Guidelines
JJES Issues  
Contact Address
 

 

اضطراب الاكتئاب الجسيم لدى طلبة الجامعات الأردنية: انتشاره وميكانيزمات الدفاع المتنبئة به

ميادة القرعان و أحمد الشريفين و عبير الرفاعي *‏

 جامعة اليرموك، الأردن *‏          

Doi://10.47015/17.4.9 

JJES,17(4), 2021, 607-627

ملخص:

هدفت هذه الدراسة إلى الكشف عن نسبة انتشار اضطراب الاكتئاب الجسيم لدى طلبة الجامعات الأردنية وميكانيزمات الدفاع المتنبئة به. ولتحقيق أهداف الدراسة، استخدم مقياس ((DSQ-28 لميكانيزمات الدفاع، وطور مقياس اضطراب الاكتئاب الجسيم. تكونت عينة الدراسة من (1270) طالبًا وطالبة من طلبة الجامعات الأردنية. وأظهرت نتائج الدراسة أن نسبة انتشار اضطراب الاكتئاب الجسيم لدى الطلبة بلغت (11.97%)، وأن نسبة من لديهم اضطراب الاكتئاب الجسيم من الذكور (10.96%)، ومن الإناث (12.93%)، وأن قيمة مربع كاي  تشير إلى عدم وجود فروق ذات دلالة في نسبة انتشار اضطراب الاكتئاب الجسيم وفقًا لمتغير النوع الاجتماعي. وأشارت إلى وجود فروق في ميكانيزمات الدفاع الناضجة لدى الطلبة تعزى إلى متغير النوع الاجتماعي لصالح الذكور، وعدم وجود فروق في ميكانيزمات الدفاع (العصابية، وغير الناضجة) تعزى إلى متغير النوع الاجتماعي. كما بينت النتائج أن لكل من متغيري (ميكانيزمات الدفاع الناضجة، وميكانيزمات الدفاع غير الناضجة) قدرة تنبؤية باضطراب الاكتئاب الجسيم لدى طلبة الجامعات، بينما لم يكن لمتغير ميكانيزمات الدفاع العصابية أي قدرة تنبؤية باضطراب الاكتئاب الجسيم لدى طلبة الجامعات. كما أشارت النتائج إلى أن النسبة المئوية للتصنيف الصحيح لعينة الذكور (لديه اضطراب، ليس لديه اضطراب) بلغت (90.40%) لمجموعتي التصنيف، وكانت هناك (36) مشاهدة صنفت بشكل خاطئ، وأما احتمال الخطأ الكلي فهو في حدود (%9.60). أما النسبة المئوية للتصنيف الصحيح لعينة الإناث (لديها اضطراب، ليس لديها اضطراب) فقد بلغت (87.40%) لمجموعتي التصنيف، وكانت هناك (113) مشاهدة صنفت بشكل خاطئ، وأما احتمال الخطأ الكلي فهو في حدود (%12.60)

(الكلمات المفتاحية: الاكتئاب الجسيم، ميكانيزمات الدفاع، طلبة الجامعات الأردنية)

 

Major Depressive Disorder among Jordanian Universitie’s Students: Prevalence and Predicteing Defense Mechanisms

Maiyada Al-Qura’an, Ahmed Al-Sharifin and  Abeer Al-Rifai, Yarmouk University, Jordan.‎

Abstract:

This study aimed to explore the prevalence rate of major depressive disorder among Jordanian universitie’s students and its predicting defense mechanisms. To achieve the objectives of the study, the (DSQ-28) measure was used for defense mechanisms, and a major depressive disorder scale was developed. The sample of the study consisted of (1270) male and female students from Jordanian universities. The results of the study showed that the prevalence rate of major depressive disorder among students was (11.97%) and that the percentage of males who have major depressive disorder was (10.96%) which the percentage in females was (12.93%). The value of chi square  indicates that they are no significant differences in the prevalence of major depressive disorder according to the gender variable. It indicated that there were differences in mature defense mechanisms among students due to the gender variable, in favor of males, while there were no differences in defense mechanisms (neurotic, immature) due to the gender variable. The results also showed that the two variables (mature defense mechanisms and immature defense mechanisma) have a predictive ability for major depressive disorder among university students, while the neurotic defense mechanisms variable did not have any predictive ability for major depressive disorder among university students. The results also indicated that the overall percentage for the males sample (with disorder, no disorder) was (90.40%) for the two classification groups and there were (36) views that were misclassified, while the probability of total error was about (9.60%). The Overall Percentage for the females’ sample (with disorder, no disorder) was (87.40%) for the two classification groups and there were (113) views that were misclassified, while the probability of total error was about (12.60%).

.

(Keywords: Major Depression, Defense Mechanisma, Jordanian Universities’ Students).

 

References

Abid, M., & Riaz, M. (2017). A study on gender differences and defense mechanisms among university students. International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science, 5(1), 28-34.

Algul, S., & Ozcelik, O. (2018). Evaluating the levels of nesfatin-1 and ghrelin hormones in patients with moderate and severe major depressive disorders. Psychiatry Investigation, 15(2), 214-218.

American Psychiatric Association (APA). (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual for mental disorders. 5th Issue (DSM-5). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.

Beck, A. (1978). Cognitive therapy of depression. New York: Guilford Press.

Beck, J. (1995). Cognitive therapy, Basics and beyond. New York: Guilford Press.

Beiter, R., Nash, R., McCrady, M., Rhoades, D., Linscomb, M., Clarahan, M., & Sammut, S. (2016). The prevalence and correlates of depression, anxiety and stress in a sample of college students. Journal of Affective Disorders, 1(173), 90–96.

Bond, M., & Perry, C. (2004). Long-term changes in defense styles with psychodynamic psychotherapy for depressive, anxiety, and personality disorders. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 161(9), 1665-1671.

Bronnec, M., Corruble, E., Falissard, B., Reynaud, M., Guelfi, J., & Hardy, P. (2005). Reports on defense styles in depression. Psychopathology, 38, 9-15.

Carvalho, A., Hyphantis, T., Taunay, T., Macêdo, D., Floros, G., Ottoni, G., Fountoulakis, K., & Lara, D. (2013). The relationship between affective temperaments, defensive styles and depressive symptoms in a large sample. Journal of Affective Disorders, 146(1), 58-65.

Colbert-Getz, J., Fleishman, C., Jung, J., & Shilkofski, N. (2013). How do gender and anxiety affect students’ self-assessment and actual performance on a high-stakes clinical skills examination? Acad. Med., 88, 44–48.

Cramer, P. (2002). Defense mechanisms: Behavior and effect in young adulthood. Journal of Personality, 70(1), 103-126.

Cramer, P. (2006). Protecting the self: Defense mechanisms in action. New York: Guilford Press.

Ebert, D., Buntrock, C., Mortier, P., Auerbach, R., Weisel, K., Kessler, R., Cuijpers, P., Green, J., Kiekens, G., Nock, M., Demyttenaere, A., & Bruffaerts, R. (2019). Prediction of major depressive disorder onset in college Students. Depression and Anxiety, 36(4), 294-304.

Farrer, l., Gulliver, A., Bennett, K., Fassnacht, D., & Griffiths, K. (2016). Demographic and psychosocial predictors of major depression and generalized anxiety disorder in Australian university students. BMC Psychiatry, 16(241), 1-9.

Fekadu, N., Shibeshi, W., & Engidawork, E. (2017). Major depressive disorder: Pathophysiology and clinical management. Journal of Depression and Anxiety, 6(1), 1-7.

Flesch, B., Houvèssou, G., Munhoz, T., & Fassa, A. (2020). Major depressive episode among university students in southern brazil. Revista De Saude Publica, 54(11), 1-11.

Gilligan, C. (1982). In a different voice: Psychological theory and women’s development. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.

Gokdage, R. (2015). Defense mechanisms used by university students to cope with stress. International Journal on New Trends in Education and Their Implications, 6(2), 1-12.

Hashem, A., & Abdel-Rasoul, B. (2018). Psychological defense mechanisms for students of the University of Kufa. Journal of the American Arab University for Research, 4(1), 126-153.

Hattie, J. (1985). Methodology review: Assessing unidimensionality of tests and ltenls. Applied Psychological Measurement, 9(2), 119-164.

Hovanesian, S., Isakov, I., & Cervellione, K. (2009). Defense mechanisms and suicide risk in major depression. Archives of Suicide Research, 13(1), 74-86.

Jaradat, A. (2012). Prevalence of depression among a sample of university students in Jordan. The University of Sharjah Journal for Humanities and Social Sciences, 9(1), 177-197.

Khosravani, V., Alvani, A., & Seidisarouei, M. (2016). The relation of early maladaptive schemas and behavioral inhibition/approach systems to defense styles in abusers of synthetic drug: A cross-sectional study. Journal of Substance Use, 21(6), 1-10.

Khosravani, V., Mehdizadeh, A., Dortaj, A., Alvani, A., & Amirinezhad, A. (2017) Early maladaptive schemas, behavioral inhibition/approach systems and defense styles in the abusers of opiate, stimulant and cannabis drugs and healthy subjects. Journal of Substance Use, 22(3), 317-323.

McLean, C., & Anderson, E. (2009). Brave men and timid women? A review of the gender differences in fear and anxiety. Clin. Psychol. Rev., 29, 496–505.

Mohsen, A. (2013). Depression among university students and its relationship to sex and specialization. Journal of Studies and Research in Sport Education, Basra University, 37(1818-1503), 106-138.

Nakhli, J., Braham, A., Mtiraoui, A., & Ben Nasr, S. (2019). Depressive disorders in university nurse students in Sousse. Journal of Medical and Clinical Studies, 2(1), 1-4.

Oh, M., Kim, J., Yoon, N., Lee, S., Lee, S., & Kang, W. (2019). Differences in personality, defense styles and coping strategies in individuals with depressive disorder according to age groups across the lifespan. Psychiatry Investing, 16(12), 911-918.

Porcerelli, J., Olson, T., Presniak, M., Markova, T., & Miller, K. (2009). Defense mechanisms and major depressive disorder in African American women. Journal of Nervous & Mental Disease, 197, 736-741.

Romo-Nava, F., Bobadilla-Espinosa, R., Tafoya, S., Guízar-Sánchez, D., Gutiérrez, J., Carriedo, P., & Heinze, G. (2019). Major depressive disorder in Mexican medical students and associated factors: A focus on current and past abuse experiences. Journal of Affective Disorders, 245, 834-840.

Saint-Martin, C., Valls, M., Rousseau, A., Callahan, S., & Chabrol, H. (2013). Psychometric evaluation of a shortened version of the 40-item defense style questionnaire. International Journal of Psychology & Psychological Therapy, 13(2), 215-224.

Singh, A. (2018). The effect of anxiety on defense mechanisms among Dutch and Indian students: A cross-cultural comparison. Master Thesis, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala.

Vázquez, F., & Blanco, V. (2008). Prevalence of DSM-IV major depression among Spanish university students. Journal of American College Health, 57(2), 165-172.

Vittengl, J., & Jarrett, R. (2014). The Wiley handbook of cognitive behavioral therapy: Major depressive disorder. First Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Waqas, A., Naveed, S., Aedma, K., Tariq, M., & Afzaal, T. (2018). Exploring clusters of defense styles, psychiatric symptoms and academic achievements among medical students: A cross‑sectional study in Pakistan. BMC Research Notes, 11(1), 1-6.

Waqas, A., Rehman, A., Malik, A., Muhammad, U., Khan, S., & Mahmood, N. (2015). Association of ego defense mechanisms with academic performance, anxiety and depression in medical students: A mixed-methods study. Cureus, 7(9), 1-16.

Yap, M., Allen, N., & Sheeber, L. (2007). Using an emotion regulation framework to understand the role of temperament and family processes in risk for adolescent depressive disorders. Clinical and Child Family Psychology Review, 10(2), 180–196.

Youn, S., Trinh, N., Shyu, I., Chang, T., Fava, M., Kvedar, J., & Yeung, A. (2013). Using online social media (Facebook) in screening for major depressive disorder among college students. International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology, 13(1), 74-80.

.

.

.

.